Letters processed on the automation equipment used by the USPS speed past the MLOCR’s camera at up to 36,000 pieces per hour or 9 letters per second. During the 1/9 of a second, the MLOCR does the following:
• Takes a picture of the address
• Sends the picture of the address to the MLOCR’s computer
• Converts the image of the characters seen on the letter into data
• Searches the computer directory to validate the city, state and ZIP Code from a list of 120,000,000 addresses
• Prepares the 31-digit Intelligent Mail barcode with the correct tracking and delivery point information.